The scholarship was established in 1949 and is maintained by a donation from the Trustees of the Walter and Eliza Hall Trust. The purpose of the scholarship is to support a research higher degree candidate in undertaking research travel overseas.
The Scholarship is open to research higher degree students undertaking research travel overseas.
You must also:
- be a confirmed RHD candidate at the time of application.
- be enrolled full-time at UQ (part-time students are eligible to apply but must be enrolled full time while overseas).
- have no overdue milestone at the time of application.
- complete your travel before the Thesis Review milestone.
About the award
This is a Philanthropic, Research Higher Degree, Travel Plus Scholarship.
Applicants will be ranked on the basis of:
academic achievement and potential for scholastic success;
the potential for the proposed travel to enhance the quality of the applicant’s research higher degree thesis; and
the potential for the proposed travel to expedite the completion of the thesis.
any other matters seen fit.
Selection of a scholar will be made by a Graduate School selection committee and approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.
Terms and conditions
Read the following terms and conditions carefully.
- Any changes to the destination, purpose, or dates of travel requires prior approval from the Graduate School. Failure to obtain the approval may forfeit the award. Retrospective changes will not be approved.
- Departure must be no earlier than one week after the outcome of the round is announced, as retrospective funding will not be approved.
- Applicants must seek approval for the proposed activities and travel from their Principal Supervisor before submitting an application.
- Applicants are responsible for arranging appropriate UQ travel insurance.
- Travel must be completed before the Thesis Review milestone. Applicants who intend to travel immediately before, or at the time the milestone is due, may be required to submit an application for an extension to the milestone on research-related grounds.
- Any unspent funds must be returned to the Graduate School.
- Successful applicants must submit a report, and a reconciled budget with scanned copies of airfare and accommodation receipts to the Graduate School within one month of their return.
- Applicants must demonstrate that additional funds are available to supplement the award, if required.
- Donors may invite the recipient to present on the work conducted as part of the scholarship, in which case they must comply or risk losing the scholarship.
- Holders of these philanthropic scholarships must acknowledge them in any paper that is published as a result of the research conducted while the recipient held the scholarship.
Incomplete applications will not be considered; applicants are responsible for providing the required documentation and the Graduate School will not follow up with individuals.
How to apply
Please send your completed application form and a copy of your academic CV to the firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 May, 2017.
You are encouraged to read the definitive rules for this scholarship prior to application, in particular any specific eligibility conditions and check the FAQs if you have any questions.
Download application form: